CHAT

Saturday, May 21

Song Survey Assignment #1

Before playing the piano, you have to have something to play. And to choose what to play, you should have songs that you're familiar with in your mind already. It's much easier and more fun to play songs on the piano that you've heard before. Many of my piano students have never heard the songs I'm familiar with and I'm not familiar with the songs my students know.

To survey songs means to listen to them. Today, I'm going to assign these songs for you to listen to and familiarize yourself with. You may find them on mp3 file and download them to your ipod if you can or you may find them on Youtube or just midi files. I'll make a series of links for the youtube files once I find them but in the meantime, you may post links to the comments section here in this blog as suggested listening. Here are the titles.

The Glow Worm
Greensleeves
Pomp and Circumstance

YouTube - Mills Brothers - Glow Worm (live, 1957)
[Glow Work]

YouTube - The Tudors: Greensleeves (Henry/Anne)
[Lady Greensleeves]

YouTube - Pomp and Circumstance
[Pomp and Circumstance]

YouTube - Paul Robeson: Mighty Lak A Rose
[Mighty Lak' a Rose]

YouTube - Percy Grainger - Country Gardens
[Country Gardens]

YouTube - Country Gardens
[Country Gardens with vocals]

YouTube - Chauncey Olcott - My Wild Irish Rose (1913)
[My Wild Irish Rose]

YouTube - Oh Susanna!
[Oh Suzanna]

No comments: