CHAT

Saturday, April 13

Rick Potvin will lead you through your piano lesson using online internet tools... for free at this time!

by Rick Potvin

I've been playing with various online tools to see what I can do to teach piano online after having taught in person since 1993 in my home, student's homes, retail stores and charter schools. Key word: "Play", as in "playing with the tools". Today, I'll attempt to take this a step further and actually deliver a lesson to a student, for free at this time.

Jacob was one of our students who had to travel a long distance and could no longer do so. As a piano instructor, I'm not up to speed on Skype yet-- which is what some advanced technology teachers are doing-- but I CAN use some of the tools online that I DO have at my disposal, such as this blog, my forum and Youtube videos. Isn't Youtube fantastic now?

So Jacob was working on Ave Maria and I'd like to point him to the outline I created where he'll find various links to particular sites that I found useful. First though, here is a playlist of 3 arrangements that take about 10 min. to watch. This in itself is a lesson so if YOU are interested in playing this famous Classical piece, follow along. Once you're done with the playlist, you'll be in the forum link and you can post questions in the forum without logging in.

Youtube and discussion...enter...
PLAYLIST (about 9 minutes, 3 videos) Required viewing for students.