CHAT

Sunday, May 18

Rick does PianoMan with a pitch-correcting vocalizer-- first time really.

I got this vocalizer box from Boss several months ago but didn't really grasp the importance of pitch correction using a computer until the past few weeks. I'm not sure what triggered it-- but once I understood that my vocals have always been in trouble and that there was such a thing as computerized realtime pitch correction, I dug into and really had fun with it. The following Pianoman is done with the pitch control set to chromatic tone proximity-- and it's not the complete song but you can heear the corrections being made. It's quite fascinating and using this actually helps correct your own vocal pitch as a sort of biofeedback device. I NOW think no singer or vocal instructor ought to be without it. Of course the pros have known about and used it for a long time. It's like them to keep a trade secret.


A half hour after the video above was posted to Youtube, I got a copyright violation notice-- which I don't understand. Why? I'm not performing this online for money. I'm not selling it. It's more accurate than I've done in the past but it's still a far cry from sounding like the original. The computer that Youtube (now Google) has that detects melodies and chord similarities so fast and through millions of uploads is quite amazing. However- for music publishers to claim copyright of a song that's in my head-- is bizarre. Copyrights of songs like this in general is bizarre. Anyway, I alterned some of the sound parameters on my Boss box and tried it again-- with a better effect I think.



More on vocal training and the new pitch correcting vocoders.
Rick Potvin | Piano Lessons in Phoenix, Arizona: VOICE LESSONS - range