CHAT

Wednesday, February 18

On Broadway-- a lesson & exercise in the secret code of music


EXERCISE - PART I - Hit the C chord on your keyboard and starting singing "On Broadway" beginning on the G-note just below the C. You'll find that the Bb chord fits right in as you sing along.

C            Bb    C          Bb         C    Bb  C Bb
They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway
C                Bb      C     Bb      C   Bb C  Bb
They say there's always magic in the air

F               Eb       F         Eb     F
But when you're walkin' down that street
              Eb      F      G
And you ain't had enough to eat
C           Bb          C   Bb            C   Bb  C  Bb
The glitter rubs right off and you're nowhere

PART II - Start the same song over again but start with the G chord, using the 5th tone of THAT chord, D-- just below your G in the middle of the piano and sing your way through my new lyrics the best you can. 

G            F      G    F        G    F  G  F
They say the pizza's real good on Broadway
G            F           G         F          G     F  G  F
The hot dogs too are the best they say there are.

C         Bb     C         Bb
If I were walkin down that street
C         Bb     C        D    
And if I hadn't 'nough to eat
G         F        G                 F       G    F   G   F
The pizza pies and hot dogs can't be beat on Broadway

PART III- Do the same thing by starting on D chord-- and singing the 5th tone of that scale, A, to the tune of On Broadway.

D            C          D      C        D    C   D   C
They say the pork chops really swing on Broadway
D            C          D          C          D   C  D  C
I couldn't tell you - I just don't drive that far
G            F     G       F
But if you tell me down my street
G            F     G       A
A pork chop can be had for free
D           C            D        C     D        C  D  C 
Then I'll admit it, I'd take that right awayyy... 


PART IV- Look through the roman numbers of chords built on each note of the C scale below. Notice the chord changes written out as roman numbers. "I" means I chord. "bIII" means "flat III chord"

C D   E   F  G  A   B   C
I ii iii IV  V  VI vii  I

Normally, E and B are minor chords in the major scale of "scale chords". To make them Major chords, just raise the normal 3rd tone a half step. The major roman numeral is denoted with capitalized letters III and VII.

      Emaj          Bmaj
       III           VII

Now consider the major chords based on the flatted III and flatted VII chords.

      Eb maj         Bb maj
       bIII          bVII

The roman numeral progression will now look like this... 

I - bVII - I - bVII 
IV - bIII - IV - bIII

Spelling out the roman numeral chords should make sense to you by now as follows... 

I = C E G
bVII = Bb D F

IV - F A C 
bIII - Eb G Bb  

EXERCISE
SPELL OUT THE I and "flat seven" chords as well as the IV and "flat three" chords for 2nd and 3rd verses as I did for the first verse just above. 

Email me if you're stuck. If you get it, write a new verse with new lyrics in a new key and email me that. rick_potvin@yahoo.com

Here's a short video describing what I've just done where you can hear what I'd like you to do on the piano.