CHAT

Thursday, November 8

These Boots Are Made for Walkin'.

Here's a tune I've always liked for it's energy and pizazz. I first heard it on a 45 rpm record in 1968 on a juke box given to my family by my Uncle Larry and installed in the family "Play Room". My dad rewired the juke box so that you didn't have to put a quarter in. All you had to do was punch up "E 5" and you would get "These Boots Were Made for Walkin".




Here's my piano rendering of this Lee Hazelwood tune made famous by Nancy Sinatra above.
[coming up in a few hours on Th. Nov 8]



Here is a discussion forum area where you'll find several more piano versions of this tune along with some analysis by me. It's amazing to me that this tune still "sells" and that kids today want to do it. I think the music back then really did have a higher novelty factor than a lot of what passes for music today however.
[Discussion]

I'm particularly interested in how songs are written and in drawing students' attention to how songs are written. As part of that, I would say paying attention to the songwriter... where he came from, how he did his chord changes and lyrics and where he got his knowledge... are probably more interesting to me than any other aspect of music. Here's Hazelwood's background on wikipedia. [Wiki on Hazelwood]

If you sign up for lessons with me, I'll work with you an hour a week on whatever I can help you with in making this song happen for you on the piano or keyboard. --Rick P.

No comments: