CHAT

Thursday, February 6

Rick's Take Five on the Yamaha E433 keyboard at Sam Ash

This 1972 updated version of Brubeck's 1957 hit Take 5 with Paul Desmond on sax runs quick with improvization I can't match but its fun to try. There seems to be an actual score in the fake books but what's done here is much more. The 5/4 time is still fairly unique and never caught on... and still too tricky but doable.


Here I get my blue light-- and refer to my glasses-- which I need to read music not memorized. Brubeck used glasses with heavy rims. The natural health industry now says unfocused vision can be corrected with lens muscle training. I might try that again or take a high does of Lutein and Vitamin A in a formular for vision. For now, light weight rimless glasses are part of my equipment-- just like a power supply or music rack. My improv section includes piano as well as saxophone. I'm not particularly great  in 5/4 and lost my way a few times but got through it.

No comments: