CHAT

Monday, May 7

Billy Joel's "Pianoman" played by Rick at GB... on a Saturday night.

For the past 7 years, I've played Pianoman on Saturday night, as we approached 9:00 just like Billy Joel sang it. Here I am at Golden Buddha somewhere around that time, recently.
If you're going to take lessons, you're going to have to a version of this song. I often play a short version as above... and I'm not singing it yet because the restaurant environment doesn't call for it. I can sing it, however... and that's tough in the key of C in which it's written. There are tricks to doing vocals on this that I'll discuss another time.

Here's another Youtuber who uploaded a piano/vocal of himself that I'll have you listen to until I do my version. [+] I think Billy Joel does Billy Joel the best, however. Amazingly, there's an official video that I never actually saw until recently, that takes those of us who grew up with this, back. [+] I can't say there's anything wrong with the way Billy Joel did this. And he got lifetime royalties to boot. Pretty good.

Here's a guy who risks going to that octave higher and does a pretty good job. You can see he's having trouble however. The vocal is a bit overdone. . [+]

This next guy MidnightFalcon even put the harmonica part in. His playing is a bit harsh and stiff. Without a mic, the vocal is a bit thin. Overall, however, it pretty good as an attempt. It's more than I've done online. [+] Note that he doesn't go up an octave. It's really hard to to do.

Mike Caprolla does a better harmonica... again with no mic, vocals are overwhelmed by the piano. He DOES go up an octave where required, and does a good job! [+] It's a bit too fast. He's hitting all the keys too hard, too. With a few more years, he could be much better. Great start.
,br> Eric Rooney performs in front of is high school classmates. There's something wrong with the piano playing-- too much of a pounding quality somehow. I'm not sure what's wrong. Again with a few more years, he could be good. [+] Top end vocals are being yelled, which is understandable since it's really tough.

Here's one more where the guy's vocal is too loudn compared to the piano but he's got a good crowd and he reaches the high notes. The audience sings along which is nice. I think his high notes are the best of all of the above other than Bill Joel himself. His harmonic is right on. Overall, the piano actaully the weakest link in this... which is typical of guys who speciallize in kereoke singing or chord piano playing. [+] He hits the high notes but makes painful facial gestures. If you watch Billy Joel you'll note the high notes are effortless.

As for me, I'm still working on it.

No comments: