CHAT

Friday, September 5

Suit and Tie remix by Rick Potvin in 1970's easy listening piano style

This is a really tricky tune to do for a lot of reasons-- not the least of which is that I just can't say -- let alone sing-- the ethnic-flavored lyrics-- I think they call it eubonics. For example, the original lyrics are "I BE in my suit and tie". Excuse me but "I'LL BE IN my suit and tie" is proper grammer, right? The next LINE is "I be in my "shit" and tie". Why? Why do these people RUIN a song with an sour word? It's now hip? Ughh. How am I expected to say those lyrics? How is anyone?

I had to cut out a whole verse and replace it with doo-doo-doot's. Other times, I had to say something once-- not multiple times as is the fashion now. And I'm unlikely to show a lady "a few things about love". I'll tell her a few things about hollow earth, fake moon landings, fake media and reincarnation. But not "love". That stuff takes care of itself. The number people DOING this tune is astonishing to me-- it demonstrates quite forcefully that I'm over the hill and quite "out of it" when it comes to pop culture of "today's" youth.  Pop culture is frighteningly disposable and quite frankly-- obscene beyond belief.

The video below starts with my 1970's easy listening remix and continues with an hour's worth of others' interpretations beginning with the original.

 I recommend printing out the music for $6 at musicnotes.com. It's too much work to listen to it over and over to get the precise synchronization of lyrics and notes otherwise. Most lyric/chord charts that are free have wrong chords for this song. In most cases I can generate a fair rendition of a song with those free lyric/chord charts but sometimes not. This is one of those cases. The repetitive movement of DM7 to Em7 reminded me of Burt Bacharach harmony stuck into a disco-funk loop. You'll find some very interesting bosa nova and other types of remixes for this tune on Youtube.



Discussion: SUIT and TIE - Justin Timberlake