CHAT

Saturday, January 31

Is Barry Manilow really playing the piano in this video?

I wonder if Manilow is playing or PRETENDING to play in the following clip. The same goes for the singing. It seems to be off. Apparently a lot of bands these days use so much electronic backup that for the most part, there's no such thing as a live concert anymore. This trend troubles me because if someone is pretending to play or sing, then what's the point of seeing it live?

 I use automatic rhythm backup for my piano playing and a vocoder but this is all done up-front-- without pretending I have a band. I have used recorded crowds for some youtube's just for kicks to see if I can make it realistic and it often works well. Take a look, however, at this video of Barry doing "I can't Smile Without You" and see if you think it "works". I'm not sure it does. After Barry plays, more versions of the song follow in the PLAYLIST LESSON I've assembled here. Each video has a particular point we'll discuss in the forum linked at the bottom of this post.

[DISCUSSION]