CHAT

Monday, November 25

Stan Goetz's final concert... for your dinner hour.

I listened to Goetz in the 1970's on a Buffalo, New York radio station late at night in the basement of my parents home in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I recorded the broadcasts on Phillips cassette tape and collected lots of tapes. After I left home, I lost contact with those tapes and with late night jazz from Buffalo. My dad had "lent me the car" to drive down to Buffalo sometimes to listen to those late night concerts by Dizzie Gillespie and Stan in person-- and others. I drove alone-- everyone else in my high school was into the local basketball team. So thanks to Dad for the car on those weekend nights. Buffalo was a favorite place of mine-- especially the used book stores... Buffalonians competed with Torontonians for the "best" of everything-- a friendly competition I understood since I got to know the streets of both towns. But most of all, I got to know the music. And that includes the following which you can now enjoy via Youtube and great Internet-- the revolutionary media device that may save more than music-- it may help save our souls if used right. - Rick Potvin