CHAT

Monday, January 20

Listening Assignment - Rimsky-Korsakov-- The Young Princes and Princess


Let's consider reverse-engineering this piece-- by listening and then looking at the sheet music and installing roman number chords-- then translate it to synthesizer. Who's with me? Email me rick_potvin@yahoo.com. I'll come up with something over the next week. That's what it means to be a student of music-- who happens to use the powerful piano as a means to the musical end but which piano is now enhanceable infinitely with electronically accurate digital sounds of traditional instruments and instruments that have never been heard in this universe yet. This piece is worthy of "re-voicing", the original admittedly nicely done of course.


Here's my short version played from a music book-- using the Yamaha E433 keyboard and one of the synth "pad" sounds. It's tricky to get the fingering precisely correct so you'll see me concentrating. If you miss the correct finger, you end up in trouble on a subsequent note. I put the chords in to make it easier to "wing it" and improvise if I need to. Also, it becomes much easier to memorize and improvise on once the chords are known. Maybe I'll try that over coming days. Here it is "straight" for now.


And here's the score.