CHAT

Sunday, January 5

Rick does Johnny Horton's North to Alaska.


Given the cold weather in the central area of the continent this week, I thought this old tune by Johnny Horton, "North to Alaska" would fit this bill. The scenes in the following video by MrTibbs6912 work nicely. I first heard this tune on a juke box as a kid back in the 1960s and I was always impressed with the vocal by Horton that drops an octave. All I could remember, of course, was that "north to Alaska" shout. Give a listen...

Here's my attempt. I can barely reach the low. The "north to alaska" is two octaves higher so you need quite a vocal range to do this. I might be able to use this as a shout-out-type sing-along someday. I might try it for Matt who is an Alaskan northern ice-highway trucker I met at Sam Ash last week on piano night (Thursdays). The lyrics are fairly involved-- so I stumble a bit as I read 'em. Still-- it's doable I think-- and a fun "novelty tune" to have in your repertoire. Certainly if you're doing place-name tunes, it's handy-- I thought of it as soon as Matt told me he's from Alaska.

Discussion
NORTH TO ALASKa