CHAT

Friday, December 20

Piano-synth can be used to create songs based on video games.

There is a video game from the early days of video gaming called Pong. It goes back to about 1977 I think. I believe Artari created it. It's very basic but conceptually exciting. It simply simulated a Ping Pong game on TV screens back then which predate digital TV's and were called Cathode Ray Tubes or CRT's. Enjoy the 30 second sample, then scroll down to my rough-draft of a song based on those sounds using my Korg Piano-Synth and Technics KN 1000 keyboard. The point I make here is that creating any coherent music-- even based on sound effects from video games-- requires piano lessons. Here's Pong...If you're reading this in your email, click on the title above or the "posted by Rick to PianoLessonsEtc.com" line at the bottom to view the video. 


Now here's a quick sketch of what a song based on those sounds might sound like. We'll use the Wood Block sound on the Korg T1, and the Saxaphone on the KN1000 keyboard. My chord changes are Dm - C - Bb which correspond to your Roman Numeral notation as i - bvii - bvi. If we started on Cm, we would use Cm- Bb and Ab. 

Discussion