CHAT

Sunday, December 15

Rick plays MONK theme, "It's a Jungle Out There" by Randy Newman



I couldn't find a youtube of Newman performing his own song-- only studio recordings with jumbled images of the actor who plays Monk. I'm not sure why that's the case. Plenty of Randy Newman's performance vids are posted but NOT this one. In any case, let's take a listen to the original recording first.



Before watching me try it, take a closer look at the chord chart I downloaded and marked up. It's a mess-- I'll have to redo it. Lesson: Use a pencil with an eraser, not a gel pen. The interesting thing to note about the song is that it's written in the minor mode AND there is a KEY CENTER CHANGE after the first verse-- that NEVER returns to the original key. I decided to MARK UP the ROMAN NUMERALS in the "minored major" mode-- however. This means that the Roman numbers are

i  -  II  - bIII - iv  -  v - bVI -  bVII

You'll note the LINE drawn across the page further down is where the key center changes. This makes it impossible to replay the song and extend it as a typical blues piece. I ignored that impossibility however and simply started the song again. It's not good however-- and this will have to be fixed. The original version is too short and in my opinion, played too fast.




This is my first attempt-- there's work to be done-- but it's passable. I might have to order the sheet music to get better accuaracy because I can hear where I'm missing little extra embellishments and getting the inversion of the chord wrong. But, hey- that's what you get for working off a free lead sheet.  There are intriguing chord changes-- aside from all that-- that I'll continue to look at in the discussion, linked below the video.


Discussion
IT's a JUNGLE OUT THERE - Monk Theme - [Randy Newman[