CHAT

Thursday, December 10

Childhood's End soundtracks etc.


I haven't been interested in new movies for a long time. I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies on TCM however. A new movie, an adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End is coming to SyFy channel this month and it has caught my interest because I ploughed through the novel years ago.

I actually thought the story was silly and didn't really think much of the plot-- of the Overlord invasion of Earth. I didn't like the conclusion either-- predicting the end of mankind rather than it's uplifting. In the end, the Earth vapourized. Isn't that just great? It was depressing. The mechanisms for time travel, time dilation, were combined with hibernation-- which made no sense to me. It should have been one or the other.

In any case, as part of a new effort to expand PianoLessonsEtc into a wider "entertainment" education zone, and to exeriment with the creation of playlists, I'd like to take a look at the movie as seen on Youtube promos along with the music via a playlist-- and possibly translate the sound track to something playable on piano. Movie music played on piano has a lot of currency among millions of movie goers so it behooves me to know some portion of it. Here we go, starting with Pink Floyd's interpretation of the concept in a song by the same title as the book.

As always, use the arrows in the bottom left to click forward or back and the drop down menu at the top left to explore the titles I've included in the playlist. Below the video on this page is a comparison of Clarke's idea with Sitchen's Anunnaki.

Parallels I independently discovered between Childhood's End and Sitchen. Sitchen only began translating Sumerian tablets and publishing in the 1970's I believe. Clark published is roughly parallel fiction in the 1950's.

1. The Overlords are like the Anunnki.

2. The Overlords try to end Apartheid in South Africa. Sitchen has the Enki Anunnuki mining gold and creating man in South Africa. What a coincidence.

3. Clarke has man establish a safe zone in the middle of the ocean, on a manufactured island-- reminiscent of Atlantis.

4. Clarke's Overmind seems parallel to The Creator of All referred to by Thoth in Sitchen's work.