CHAT

Thursday, December 31

Rick's New Year's Resolution: Learn & Teach Ukelele

Apparently, people love ukelele more and more lately. I don't get it. For me, ukelele was a toy cousin of a guitar but as it turns out, there's much more to it than I thought. Guitar Center sells substantially sophisticated ukeleles and there is a damand for lessons, teaching ukelele. I already teach piano and of course specialize in that but my New Year's Resolution is to get going on ukelele, starting with a rendering of Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through the Tulips. Chord changes, music theory, melody, vocals and much more can be taught on this instrument just as on a keyboard or piano and it might make an interesting addition to the Rick and Dorothy Piano Keyboard Hour for Retirement Residences. Here's Tim followed by more uke songs in coming days on a playlist.