CHAT

Sunday, December 27

"Piano fails" are actually "good goofing around".

As a piano instructor, I see all kinds of students with all kinds of starting points, motivations, dreams and challenges. One of the things I've learned to do is to tolerate anything-- at least for half the lesson. It leads to some strange and even funny things when you let the student show the instructor what they can do.

I discovered that Youtubers have been filing their efforts under "piano fails"-- an understandable term but one that "fails" to label these efforts as "good goofing around" or-- more academically "piano playing experiments by untrained people" or "experimental amateur piano" or just "experimental piano", or in effect, "experimental experiential piano", since the experiment involves the experience.  Still-- that's where I found the following "to-me-interesting-as-a-piano-instructor" videos, arranged in my typical easy-to-watch-playlist-mode.

By the way, for the teachers out there: I discovered that if half the lesson allows for this type of "free form expression" unhindered by "instruction", that the other half of the lesson is then easier to carry out AS an instruction. I often "negotiate" my way through the lesson with students in this way. For more capable students, it's a song that THEY want to learn. For the untrained ones, it's patterns of notes based on their random generations.

Indexed below as  "experimental amateur piano"-- UPDATE: I've included some entertaining video clips of funny "fails" in performance along the way. My playlists often take detours like this. I attempt to stay on course, however, with my original idea of amateur piano experimental experiences or goofing around.